Thursday, 12 May 2016

Slow Cooker Lamb and Vegetable Soup



We all have those recipes that are just our go-to meals. I’m especially like this! I have my “never fail” recipes. These are most successful in the slow-cooker. I think it’s the whole idea of dumping everything in and going.

It’s getting to be winter here, so obviously soup, chili and stew have moved to the top of the list! And now with the boys being home in the afternoons, instead of at school, I find the slow-cooker to be my saving grace!

I have these wonderful winter memories with Hubby and the family of throwing a soup together and then the family gathering around that evening with a big plate of bread or vet koek! There is just something about a good soup that seemed to bring the family together and the laughter and conversation just takes over.

Here is a great, simple, dump and go recipe for a delicious soup sure to fill the family! Combining the rich flavor of lamb with local, fresh, organic vegetables makes for the perfect dinner on a cool, winter's night!

Slow Cooker Lamb and Vegetable Soup
Prep time: 30 minutes                   Cook time: 4 ½- 6 ½ hours

Serves: 8

500 g Lamb Stew Cuts
3 cups chopped carrots
3 cups chopped potatoes
1 ½ cup chopped broccoli
1 ½ cup chopped cauliflower
1 cup chopped red cabbage
1 cup chopped spinach
2 cups pre-soaked red beans
1 cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped leaks
½ cup chopped turnips
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1/8 cup chopped fresh garlic chives
1 large onion diced
1-1/2 L water
2 packets dry soup mix (Knoor Mutton & vegetable)
2 tsp garlic salt
Salt & pepper to taste
1) Dump everything in a slow-cooker, except the soup mix.
2) Cover with foil and place lid on.
3) Turn on high for 4-6 hours
4) Mix soup mix with water to form paste. Add 30 minutes before serving and turn to low.
5) Season with salt and pepper to desired strength. 

Alternatively, you can prep this in the morning before work and cook for 8 hours on slow. When you get home, through in your soup mix and get ready to dish up!

Recipe for Slow Cooker Lamb and Vegetable Soup
Print Me!
It’s that simple! I prefer my food a little salty so I always end up adding a little more salt in my bowl! For me, the key to a great soup is getting the freshest vegetables possible! I always purchase my vegetables fresh that morning and throw the soup in around lunch time. What’s great is when I need to work full day or have the kids and their friends over, this keeps me out of the kitchen!

Shana Danae

2 comments:

  1. I've never had lamb...crazy I know. Maybe I should use this to introduce myself to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never ate it a lot before moving to South Africa but now I absolutely love it! Lamb chops are delicious on a braai (BBQ) or baked in the oven with mint! ;-)

      Delete

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...