Organized Chaos

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Cookies Galore

 A couple months back when we moved into our own place again, I had a lot… A LOT of replacements to purchase for my kitchen and house. Somehow things just tend to get used or go missing when they’re just sitting around.
Luckily, Ma gave me a whole bunch of stuff. We were very blessed to not only not have to start from scratch again but to receive such awesomeness like our microwave!!
In all of this, I’d gotten some recipes from Ma! ;-) Always a double score there right?!?
I’d been dying to make some sugar cookies with Lil Mister ever since I found a great idea for icing. I went through the recipes I’d been gifted and sure enough there was a cookie one! YAY!
You can imagine my excitement as Valentines Day approached. I figured what a better time to bake cookies than on Valentines Day for school and work!
I sent Hubby Dearest to the local store in search of cookie cutters and he came back with an awesome one. It was extremely cheap. For only R20 I got 3 hearts, 3 stars, and 3 gingerbread men. Each one gets smaller. So three sizes of each!
My excitement was pouring over and Lil Mister was beaming at the idea of cookies. Then again, what two year old doesn’t like cookies!!!
Even more excitement came when this was a two day process. We made the dough one day and allowed it to sit overnight in the fridge. The next day we baked and iced. This was perfect as a two year olds attention span isn’t incredibly long!




You can't make cookies without eating a little dough!




See our beautiful creations in the background!


He was a BIG helper!

 


Kid Friendly Sugar Cookies
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract

1)       Cream butter and sugar together until smooth.
2)       Add eggs and vanilla and fold in.
3)       Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to mixture and fold in until completely mixed.
4)       Place on a sheet of glad wrap. Wrap twice.
5)       Refrigerate 24-48 hours. The dough will be extremely hard when you take it out. It softens as you roll in! I suggest closer to the 48 hour mark if you can wait that long!
6)       Roll out and cut shapes.
7)       Bake at 180 for 6-8 minutes

Icing:
Butter, softened
Icing sugar
Fresh cream

1)       Mix butter and icing sugar at a .5-1 ratio.
2)       Add cream until you like the taste and texture. Continue repeating the process until you have enough icing.


They taste even better than they looked! ;-)

 

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!
Shana..

 




6 comments:

  1. So much fun :) Cookie baking is so cool and they came out stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love baking with Lil Mister! He enjoys it too and it is great motor skills for him. And what a better reward than a delicious treat?!?

      Delete
  2. Those look very yummy! I may have to give this recipe a shot. :) He is so adorable in his little apron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know isn't that apron the best!! You should totally try these cookies they are incredibly easy!

      Delete

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...